Sunday 1 November 2015

Under a bit of pressure

A few weeks have passed and with the metal work scheduled for Nov 21 to start, I suddenly realized that some things, well, a lot actually, still need to be addressed.


First up on the must do things list was the removal of the instruments and wiring, so in the past two weeks I have basically spent more time on my back than a Thai hooker. As noted previously, electricity is generally not my friend, To overcome this intellectual deficiency, I have spent an inordinate amount of time taking pictures :


That's the back of the combo gauge by the way. Below is the back of the wiper switch and the accessory port.




But, since the wiring diagrams are, most helpfully, in black and white, I basically documented the entire under dash experience using the pencil method. An example of this is below:


When writing good technical manuals, something I used to do, the primary objective is to write to the level of the lowest common denominator, which in this case is me. Hence the somewhat oversimplified diagrams.

Thus far all of the instruments are out, wires tagged and bagged (I will remove the dash loom during metal), and just finalizing some final schematics during the next week. But, I should be pretty comfortable knowing I can put all of this back together.

All I do know is that as this is a 6 Volt system car and we need to account for all of them,, the volts I mean. (still not quite sure what an Amp is but they are apparently quite painful)

Anyway, for the more mechanically inclined, we also managed to remove (ta da) the pedal set.

It was a bit of a bitch but the most amazing thing happened, the 3 mounting bolts for the base plate came out, without swearing, hate, heat, etc. The clutch cable was interesting as I spent 2 hours under the dash undoing the cable one flat at a time. Must buy ratcheting wrenches. The cable comes off the right side of the assembly and routes back through the tunnel.


So, as at this point we are trying to get all of the bits and pieces off,, still much to do, More next time.


Gratuitous pic of Stella the shop dog,






No comments:

Post a Comment