Monday 16 November 2015

End of Disaasembly and off to Metal



So thats pretty much it. I finished today removing the dash vinyl and instrument hood, which of course revealed even more rust. I'm really starting to hate rust on a visceral, primal level. People say that no 356 ever is rust free and I am begining to believe them. This time around it was the bad seal around the windscreen on both sides. Something that we will have to deal with starting next week when we move the Beast (she has a name now by the way) off to metal.

















Most of the restoration site stress do not skrimp on the metal work. I confess I am a bit leery about all of this. Sandblasting tends to warp the larger panels by heat build up. Modern methods of metal cleaning seem to include walnut shells, glass, plastic and old banana being sprayed at the car. I've spoken with a few blasters around here in the Land of Pickup Trucks and been very unimpressed. A Chevy Truck with a girder for a frame is one thing but 18 and 20 gauge from dies built after WW2 and cheap steel are another thing entirely.

At least I'll be in the process for the next few weeks and able to project my opinions if required.

More pics from End of Disassembly below.







Above is the back of the car. The metal feels good and strong but when I took off the piece of vinyl at the top edge, the metal came apart in my hands. Sigh

Below is the engine compartment. Not too bad. I've elected to leave the engine and rear light looms in place. Trying to get them through the tunnel is a mind boggling exercise. We'll see how we get along with that. I've also left the loom in the front as well. Another reason to have a tame blaster.



Finally,the back of the passenger compartment and engine bay looking forward. Again not too bad.

 


Theres a lot of bad that I haven't shown. Better not to dwell on them at this point. Next week will reveal all.

I hope to blog every day during the metal. As I mentioned, taking the car apart has been enjoyable. Everything is bagged and tagged. Notes and photos in abundance.

BUT, next week the real work starts. It will be, well, interesting.

Full updates going forward (since I will mostly be standing around the shop with little to do except advise. Sigh. And Pay, of course.

Watched Brazil last night. I am rather glad this season is almot over. Hasn't been a great one. Of course the new world champion did manage to crack up his Pagani Zonda, which only goes for $3m.

Am I missing something?

Drop me a note anytime. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment